Pinchin, Johnson & Co. was founded in 1834 as a producer of oils and turpentines in Silvertown, London. By 1871 the company owned a seed-crushing warehouse and oil mills at Beavor Lane, Hammersmith.
Wilkinson, Heywood & Clark Ltd. was established in Kings Cross, London, in 1770 to manufacture tars, varnishes and naptha. By the 1850s the company had a number of European depots, among them Amsterdam and Zurich, and supplied products internationally, including a very large trade in India in French polish. In the 1890s the company advertised paints and varnishes to “coach “builders, decorators and ship builders.” The firm was also innovative in weather-proofing valuable farm equipment. In 1896 Wilkinson, Heywood & Clark were incorporated as a limited company, and by 1912 the firm had additional premises in Poplar and Bootle, Merseyside, and had a workforce of 1,000.
In the 1920s Pinchin, Johnson & Co. purchased the entire share capital of Wilkinson, Heywood & Clark Ltd. In 1924 Wilkinson, Heywood & Clark was voluntarily liquidated and fully merged into Pinchin, Johnson & Co.
The company expanded steadily through acquisition. By 1930, Red Hand, Docker Brothers and Robert Ingham Clark were just some of the companies acquired, servicing customers that included automotive, aviation, packaging, building, transport and domestic appliance industries.
The company claimed to have the most extensive and up-to-date paint and varnish manufacturing facilities in Europe. Pinchin, Johnson & Co. Ltd. had operations in Europe, Australia, New Zealand and India, and a lesser presence in the USA, Nigeria and the Far East.
In the 1940s the company name was changed to Pinchin, Johnson & Associates Ltd. In 1960 the business was taken over by Courtaulds, who merged it with International Paints in 1968.