Richard Wheen & Sons was a soap manufacturing company established in Finsbury, north London, in the early 1830s by Richard Wheen and his brother John.
The company prospered and in 1838 produced 715 tons of soap. However, the partnership between the two brothers was dissolved a few years later and Richard moved the business to Deptford Creek, taking over a pin factory by the River Thames.
Richard’s three sons, Richard, Francis and Charles joined the company which became styled Richard Wheen & Sons. The firm became a limited company in 1898.
The company was still active in 1929, adverising as makers of Wheen’s Washer, Carbolic Washer, and Primrose soaps, Gazelle health soap powder and Deuce lawn tennis ball cleaner.