James Russell & Son owned the Derwent Brewery in Malton, North Yorkshire, from 1771. Another brewer in the area was William Wrangham Ltd. who owned the Crystal Brewery from 1784. The two brewers went went into partnership in 1897, becoming Russells & Wrangham. The newly formed brewing company also owned a flour mill and sold both ale and flour.
Russells & Wrangham were acquired by Melbourne Brewery of Leeds in 1958, and then sold on to J.W. Cameron in 1961.
The Russell & Wrangham breweries were demolished in 1984 and the site is now occupied by a supermarket.