A. & S. Henry & Co. was a large company of textiles manufacturers, wholesalers and dealers. The company was established by brothers Alexander and Samuel Henry in Manchester in 1805.
In the early 19th century the company rapidly developed its export business in textiles, trading in woollens, worsteds, linens, jute and cotton goods from branches established in Bradford, Huddersfield, Leeds, Belfast and Glasgow. The firm’s activities were concentrated first on the North American market, followed by Brazil and Australia. In 1836 a huge warehouse was erected at 32-40 Portland Street, Manchester. It would be occupied by A. & S. Henry for the next 104 years until it was destroyed by German bombing on Christmas Eve 1940.
In 1858 a branch was established in Dundee to deal with expanding trade in jute goods. Factories in Dundee, Liverpool and London were later established to manufacture and print sacks and bags. In 1889 A & S Henry was converted into a public limited company and overseas branches were established in Buenos Aires and Calcutta. The company’s Dundee interests grew with the acquisition of premises and existing companies in the city and in 1953 A. & S. Henry & Co. (Dundee) Ltd. was incorporated as a separate company.
In 1972 A. & S. Henry & Co. Ltd. was taken over by Great Universal Stores, and in the same year A. & S. Henry & Co. (Dundee) Ltd. was taken over by the Titaghur Jute Factory Co. Ltd., who sold on 51% of its interest in the company to Asiatic Jute Co. Boston, United States.