In 1814 George Maw, a former Lincolnshire farmer, purchased a surgical plaster factory at Whitecross Street in London. The factory soon began to manufacture surgical instruments and later expanded to produce a variety of medical and pharmaceutical products.
George Maw’s son, John, was made partner in the business in 1826 and the company took the name George Maw & Son.
George retired in 1828 and his second son, Solomon, joined his brother in partnership and the firm was renamed J. & S. Maw. Ill health forced John to retire in 1835, but under the stewardship of Solomon the business flourished and expanded rapidly.
The company moved to larger premises at Aldersgate Street, although the factory had to be completely rebuilt following a fire in 1856.
In 1860 Solomon Maw’s son, Charles, was taken into partnership and the firm was renamed S. Maw & Son.
John Thompson became a partner in the business in c.1875 and the firm was restyled S. Maw, Son & Thompson.
When he retired in c.1901 the company became S. Maw, Son & Sons, becoming a limited company in 1918.
Due to lack of space for further expansion, the company purchased a 22 acre estate in Barnet in 1920, and moved a large part of its manufacturing operations there.
In 1940 the business was retitled as Maws Pharmacy Supplies Ltd. In 1973 the firm was acquired by the American company, International Telephone & Telegraph Corporation Inc. despite this company having no links at all with the pharmaceutical industry.