Sales, Pollard, Lloyd & Co. was a snuff and tobacco manufacturing company, originally established under the name Sales, Pollard & Co. at 72 Aldersgate Street, London in 1750.
The business was one of the oldest tobacco companies in England and was renowned for producing fine rapee and scotch snuffs. Scotch snuff was fine-milled snuff and a more exclusive product, whilst rapee snuff was coarser and moister but cheaper and more popular.
In 1871 the company moved to new premises in Farringdon Road. It seems that at this time a new partner was taken on as the company name became Sales, Pollard, Lloyd & Co.
Cigar making in England commenced around 1830 and Sales, Pollard, Lloyd & Co. developed a reputation for producing fine quality cigars made from Havanna, Manilla and Sumatra tobacco. The company also made cut and roll tobacco of various sorts, including the “Golden Fleece” and “Golden Virginia Leaf” brands.
In 1893 Sales, Pollard, Lloyd & Co. was acquired by a larger tobacco company called W.D. & H.O. Wills.