Samuel Barrow & Brother were leather merchants at the Grange Tannery in Bermondsey, south-east London. The company also had offices and warehouses at Weston Street and Maze Pond in Southwark.
In 1920 Samuel Barrow merged with another leather manufacturer called Hepburn, Gale & Ross to create Barrow, Hepburn & Gale. The company advertised all manner of leather goods, such as briefcases, kit bags, satchels, bootballs, belting and dog collars.
The business expanded and developed a successful chemicals division in the 1960s. By 1974 the company was known as Barrow Hepburn Group plc.
There are at least 4 Barrow overprint types on the Victorian 1d lilac.