The company was formed following the merger of the Union Insurance Company and the Scottish National Insurance Company in 1877. The Head Office was located at 35 St. Andrew Square, Edinburgh, and it remained at this address until 1973.
The company offered insurance against fire, personal accident and illness, burglary and theft, employers’ liabilities, motor car risks, marine and life.
In 1959 the business was acquired by the Norwich Union Fire Insurance Society Ltd. By 1991 the company’s principal activity was the transaction of short-term insurance business. In 2002 the company changed its name to Aviva Insurance Ltd.