The history of gas companies in Sheffield began when the Sheffield Gas Light Co. was established in May 1818. Its original gas works was at Shade Hill with offices in Haymarket Lane.
Due to poor gas quality, a group initially calling themselves the Consumers’ Gas Co. and then in 1835 the Sheffield New Gas Co., challenged the original company.
The rival company commenced operations in Effingham Street. Intense competition risked ruining both competitors and so they merged, creating the Sheffield United Gas Light Co.
A new company, the Gas Consumers’ Co. was formed as a rival in 1852. It had no legal power to lay pipes but proceeded to construct a new works at Neepsend.
Under a 1917 Act of Parliament the company became the Sheffield Gas Co. and it set about acquiring a number of other gas companies in the region to create a large supply network that became known as the Sheffield Grid.
In 1938 the company changed its name to the Sheffield & District Gas. Co.
Following nationalisation in 1949, the company joined the Sheffield and Rotherham division of the East Midlands Gas Board.