In 1841 Alexander Shirer established a drapery business in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire.
The company expanded and in 1851 was advertising as hosiers, linen drapers, haberdashers, lacemen, silk mercers and tailors.
The business evolved to become a large department store at 1-9 Imperial Circus and Clarence Street. There were departments for linens, haberdashery, hosiery, carpets, furniture and men’s and women’s clothing.
At some point the store became titled Shirers & Lances, and it continued with this name until the 1970s when it closed down.