In 1847 John Pickering and Edmund Smith opened an estate agents at 14 Whitehall Place, London. The business prospered and in 1863 a second office was opened in Darlington. Around this time Robert Watkins became a partner in the firm.
Watkins died in 1874 enabling Edmund Smith to admit his son Charles into the partnership, along with Spencer William Gore, his son-in-law.
In 1877 the firm changed its name to Smiths and Gore.
The company continued to expand rapidly, especially after The First World War when the value of agricultural land increased dramatically.
The company currently operates from 25 offices and 18 estate offices across the UK and is considered a market leader in property consultancy in the rural sector.