Surridge Dawson & Co. Ltd. was a wholesale newsagent, formed in 1934 as the result of the merger between Dawson & Co. and P. W. J. Surridge & Sons Ltd.
The origins of the business are in 1809 when William Dawson established a bookselling and newspaper distribution business in London. Finding a ready market, Dawson soon began distributing London newspapers to outlying provincial areas.
William Dawson’s family continued to run the business through much of the 19th century, until 1891 when the Sampson Low publishing organisation took control of the company.
In 1895 Dawsons opened a new branch in London to deliver newspapers to businesses and government agencies. Over the next several decades the company broadened its geographic reach by opening wholesale offices in a number of British cities.
Following the merger in 1934, Surridge Dawson & Co. Ltd. moved to larger headquarters at Blackfriars Road, London and continued to serve London and outlying areas. The company also ran a book wholesaling operation which specialised in servicing libraries.
The firm continued to grow by acquring a number of news wholesalers in the UK before it was taken over by Smiths News plc. Dawsons is currently a subsidiary of Smiths News plc and provides specialist media services, supplying newspapers, magazines, digital and audio visual content to airlines and academic books to universities.