Switzer, Ferguson & Co. was established as a draper’s and tailor’s shop at 91 Grafton Street, Dublin in 1838.
The business expanded towards the end of the 19th century, acquiring Commercial Hall on the corner of Grafton and Wicklow streets and another building opposite in Clarendon Street, which allowed the company to evolve into a department store. The firm was incorporated as Switzer & Co. Ltd. in 1890.
Switzers became associated with Cash & Co., Cork in the 1960s and had stores in Galway and Limerick in addition to the flagship store in Grafton Street, Dublin.
The company was taken over by House of Fraser and Waterford Glass in 1971, House of Fraser buying 40% of the business. In 1985 House of Fraser acquired complete control of the company.
Switzers was acquired by the Irish department store, Brown Thomas & Co. Ltd. in 1995. The Switzer stores have since been refurbished and now trade under the Brown Thomas name.