In 1829 two brothers called Thomas and William Cockayne opened a draper’s shop at 1 Angel Street in Sheffield.
The firm became a limited company in 1899 by which time it had expanded into a large department store with its own cabinet making factory.
The store was destroyed together with many of the company’s records in the Sheffield Blitz of December 1940. The company continued to trade, utilizing various premises in the centre of Sheffield, and were able to reopen the first phase of the new store on the original site in Angel Street in 1949. The final phase of rebuilding was completed in 1955.
In 1972 T. B. & W. Cockayne Ltd. was taken over by Schofields (Leeds) Ltd. and the name of the department store was changed to Schofields.
The store closed down in November 1982 and the premises are now occupied by an Argos store.