T. Collinson & Sons were wholesale tea and coffee dealers and caterers.
The company was established by Thomas Collinson in Halifax in 1835. The company’s first store in Halifax was called the Golden Canister and sold black and green teas, coffees, refined sugars, spices and hops.
Thomas Collinson retired in 1876 and his sons Joseph and Edward took over the running of the business. The company was doing well at this time and had established a number of cafés in Yorkshire and Lancashire and in Port Erin on the Isle of Man.
During the Second World War, Collinsons Café on the Isle of Man played a role in the Enemy Alien Camp scheme on the island as the female and child detainees were fed from there.
It appears that T. Collinson & Sons Ltd. ceased trading in 1970. The site of the company’s warehouse and offices in Halifax is now occupied by the Collinson Building of the Lloyds Banking Group.