The Thames Conservancy was a historical body responsible for the management of the River Thames.
It was founded in 1857, initially replacing the jurisdiction of the City of London up to Staines and later taking responsibility for the whole river from Cricklade in Wiltshire to the sea at Yantlet Creek on the Isle of Grain.
Responsibilities were reduced when part of the river known as the Tideway was transferred to the Port of London Authority in 1909.
In 1974 the Thames Conservancy was subsumed into the new Thames Water Authority, although much of the organisation remained intact as the Authority’s Thames Conservancy Division.
When Thames Water was privatised in 1990 the river management functions passed to the new National Rivers Authority and in 1996 to the Environment Agency.