Thornton-Varley Ltd. was a department store at Prospect Street in Hull. It stocked a wide array of goods, ranging from three-piece suites and carpets to clothes, fabrics and accessories. The store was described as “one of the finest and best equipped provincial stores in the country”.
Heavy bombing during the Second World War forced Thornton-Varley to relocate to a temporary home at the Royal Institution in Albion Street. The store was later rebuilt and was taken over by Debenhams in 1953.