In 1824 Henry Trapnell established a cabinet making business named Trapnell & Co. at Host Street in Bristol. In 1860 the company headquarters moved to premises on College Green and in 1869 branches were opened in both Cardiff and Newport.
Philip Endres Gane, who had worked for the company since boyhood, became a partner in c.1879 and the company became Trapnell & Gane.
Gane later became sole proprieter of the firm which subsequently became styled Gane’s of Bristol. Gane’s sons took control of the company after their father’s death in 1933.
Following severe losses during the Second World War, the company ceased trading in 1954.