Formed by Deed of Settlement in 1833 the Ulverston Gaslight & Coke Co. established works at Elfair in Ulverston, Cumbria. The company was incorporated as the Ulverston Gas Co. by Act of Parliament in 1864. In 1874 the undertaking was acquired by the Ulverston Urban District Council and the supply area and works were extended. In 1949 the undertaking became part of the Furness Group of the North Western Gas Board.
The undated cheque pictured below has affixed to it a 1d Draft stamp which has been embossed with the company’s name. Overprinting, underprinting and perfins are all well known methods used by firms to protect their stock of stamps, however a lesser known security measure is embossing. A number of embossed examples of postage stamps exist from the early half of the Queen Victoria era but examples on revenue stamps are even scarcer.