Unwin Brothers is one of the longest established printing companies in the UK. The firm was established by Jacob Unwin in 1826 in Ludgate Hill, London. When Jacob died his sons George and Edward took control of the business which became known as Unwin Brothers.
The company grew significantly under the stewardship of the brothers. When the printing works in Ludgate Hill were badly damaged in a fire in 1894 Unwin Brothers was forced to search for alternative premises. The company purchased an old paper mill in Woking, Surrey which was converted into the Saint Martha Printing Works.
In 1901 the company became Unwin Brothers Limited. At this time the firm was engaged in most aspects of the printing industry, being described as old style, modern and music type printers, lithographers, engravers, sterotypers, bookbinders, account book manufacturers and general and export stationers.
Unwin Brothers Ltd. remained at Saint Martha’s until 2007, when the firm merged with another printing company and operations were moved to Chessington.