In 1824 Thomas Usher acquired a small brewery in Back Street in Trowbridge, Wiltshire, which he renamed Usher’s Wiltshire Brewery.
In 1844 Thomas Usher’s three sons became partners in the company, and Thomas retired from active business in 1869. Usher’s beers and brand developed a loyal following, facilitating a quick expansion of the company through the 19th century. The brewery became incorporated as a limited company in 1889.
In the following years until the outbreak of the Second World War, the company continued to expand by acquiring some 15 independent breweries and their associated public house premises.
Post World War 2, the company acquired Conigre House and gardens in Trowbridge, enabling it to double the scale of its brewery and bottling plant. The company dropped the apostrophe from its registered name in 1951. In 1960 it agreed to be merged with Watney Mann and in 1964 the company name was changed to Ushers Brewers Ltd.
Watney Mann was acquired by Grand Metropolitan in 1972. The Trowbridge brewery site was closed in 2000, and redeveloped into housing and a Sainsburys supermarket. Today, beers are brewed under the Usher name by the Wychwood Brewery for Refresh UK.