Walter John Wade opened a draper’s shop at 188 Western Road, Brighton in the early 1890s. The business expanded to become a department store occupying 189-191 Western Road.
Following Wade’s death in 1924, his wife carried on the business for a time. The store traded until the end of the 1970s when it was taken over by Owen Owen.
In 1982 the store was acquired by Primark and from 2007 it became a New Look store.