In 1835 William Jelks established a house furnishing company at 275 Holloway Road in Finchley, north London.
In the 1890s the firm was described simply as “furniture dealers”.
By the early 1900s the company was making billiard tables at their works in Holloway Road. By the 1920s it appears that the manufacture and retail of billiard tables was the company’s main activity, although it still advertised second hand furniture. Jelks also supplied second hand billiard tables made by other manufactures, such as Burroughes & Watts.
In 1936 the company was incorporated as W. Jelks & Sons Ltd. The company ceased trading in 1954.