William Tarn & Co. was a large department store in the Elephant and Castle district of Southwark, London.
The business seems to have begun as a drapery shop in c.1799. In 1841 William Tarn & Co. is listed in a London Directory as “silk mercer, linen draper and general house furnisher.”
By the 1870s, the company had expanded to become a huge department store. There were departments for silks, velvets, furniture, haberdashery, millinery, boots and shoes, furs, carpets and suits. The store was the largest retailer in Elephant and Castle which was a thriving shopping area at this time, known as “the Picadilly of south London.”