In 1860 a Dutchman called Walter Blom began a successful business in the Netherlands trading hyacinth bulbs. Walter’s son, Anton Blom, shortly joined the company which became styled Walter Blom & Son.
Anton went on to develop the company by establishing a mail order trade for the English market, and expanding the bulb nursery in Overveen, Holland. In 1913 the firm was continued by Anton’s son, also named Walter. The bulb growing business in Holland thrived throughout this period as Holland remained a neutral country during the First World War.
In 1929 new nurseries were established in Addlestone, Surrey. At the onset of the Second World War in 1939, Walter Blom’s land in the UK was confiscated by the Government and the company’s nurseries were ploughed and used to produce food. Following the end of the War, Walter Blom & Son quickly set about re-establishing their business in the UK.
In 1990 the company moved to state of the art facilities in Bedfordshire. Today, the company remains family owned, and operates as Bloms Bulbs, still specialising in flower bulbs, with nurseries in the UK, Holland and the United States.