The Wandsworth gasworks were established in 1834 on the south bank of the Thames close to Wandsworth Bridge. The early company supplied Wandsworth, Putney and part of Battersea. The Wandsworth & Putney Gaslight and Coke Company was incorporated in 1856.
In 1912 the company amalgamated with the Mitcham & Wimbledon District Gaslight Company and the Epsom & Ewell Gas Company to form the Wandsworth, Wimbledon & Epsom District Gas Company.
In 1931 the Kingston upon Thames Gas Company and the Sutton Gas Company were acquired and the title changed to the Wandsworth & District Gas Company.
The headquarters of the company was at Fairfield Road, Wandsworth. The company owned a fleet of colliers to supply coal from the north-east of England. The SS Wandle was purchased in 1909 and became the flagship of the fleet.
Following the nationalisation of the gas industry in 1949, the Wandsworth & District Gas Company became part of the West Surrey Division of the South Eastern Gas Board.