In the 1820s gas was supplied to Stratford, east London, by the Whitechapel Gas Co. After several changes in ownership the undertaking was in the hands of the Commercial Gas Co. in the 1850s., which was supplying some areas of West Ham parish.
The West Ham Gas Co. was founded in 1846 under the management of Edward Henry Thorman. The business was incorporated in 1856, when it took over all the Commercial Gas Co.’s mains in the parish, except those in a small part of Canning Town.
The West Ham Gas Co. was taken over by the Gas Light & Coke Co. in 1910. The works at Stratford were still open in 1965.