In 1869, two brothers named Samuel and William Woolland took over a draper’s shop at 2 Lowndes Terrace in south west London. Over the years the shop expanded, until by 1892 it had taken over the entire eastern half of Lowndes Terrace.
By this time the original drapery business had diversified to encompass household linens, soft furnishings, outfitting, haberdashery and accessories; and its clientele had become more high class. In 1896 the store was completely rebuilt on the original site.
Up-to-date at the turn of the 20th century, by the 1930s Woollands had come to seem old and cramped. In 1949 the store was acquired by Debenhams who closed it in 1967. The premises were demolished two years later to make way for the construction of what is now the Sheraton Park Tower hotel.