In 1863, the Wrexham Waterworks Co. was established to supply water to the town of Wrexham, the largest town in North Wales. In 1904 the area supplied by the company was extended to include a large part of East Denbighshire and a small part of Flintshire.
In 1907 the name of the company was changed to Wrexham & East Denbighshire Water Co. During the 1950s the company acquired several other local water supply companies, as well as undertakings previously run by district councils.
In 1994 the company was reorganised into Wrexham Water plc, and the new parent company Dee Valley Group plc was established to act as a holding company to the new organisation. Dee Valley Water currently supplies water to the towns of Wrexham and Chester and some of the surrounding areas.