In 1896, two brothers called Alfred and Harold Wright opened a draper’s shop in George Street, Richmond in London. The shop grew to become a small department store which became incorporated as Wright Brothers Limited in 1929.
In 1940 Wright Brothers was purchased by a department store in Kingston called Hide & Co. Ltd. who ran it as a subsidiary company. Hide & Co. Ltd., together with its subsidiaries, was acquired by House of Fraser in 1975.
The department store in George Street was closed down in 1990 and the site is now occupied by a Tesco supermarket.