In 1872, William Young established a business as a building and decorating merchant at 5 Romford Road, Stratford in East London. He was later joined by Harry Holdich Marten to form the company of Young & Marten.
As well as selling building and decorating materials, Young & Marten manufactured joinery and leaded light windows. The company had railway sidings at Stratford for the transport of building materials to its warehouse in Grove Crescent Road. The business became Young & Marten Ltd. in 1900.
A trade catalogue from the 1940s shows that Young & Marten Ltd. sold lead pipes, glass, tiles, iron railings, light-fittings and timber, as well as a wide range of hardware products. The business had expanded to include branches in Brentford, Leytonstone, Walthamstow and Southend.
Young & Marten Ltd. traded until at least the early 1970s. At some point the Stratford store was demolished and the site is now occupied by the Ibis Hotel and Stratford Library. The warehouse in Grove Crescent Road has been converted into an apartment block.