John Youngs is first recorded as a brewer in Norwich in 1807. By the 1830s he was in partnership with William Burt as Youngs & Burt. Another brewer called Charles Crawshay joined the company in 1851 and when Robert Carrs Youngs joined the partnership the company became styled Youngs, Crawshay & Youngs.
The company established the Crown Brewery in King Street, Norwich in 1897 and became a limited company the same year. In 1900 Youngs created an Architects and Surveyors Department, and began to modernise their public houses. Spitoons were removed from the premises and linoleum, carpets and rugs were introduced.
By the late 1930s the Youngs brewery covered three acres and controlled 5 malt houses and 250 tied pubs in Norfolk. Youngs, Crawshay & Youngs Ltd. Was taken over by Bullards in 1958 and all brewing at the Crown Brewery was discontinued.